Sunday, November 12, 2006

I got Borked...Malborked.

This has nothing to do with Supreme Court nominees, but everything to do with Dungeons and Dragons.



So that's Malbork, or actually just a small part of Malbork. Malbork is this giant (like an hour to walk around the damn thing) castle built by the Teutonic Knights back in the 1300s. It was their main stronghold in Poland, and it is fucking huge. The Teutonic Knights were a group of German warrior monks with a taste for hypocracy and capitalism. They established trade routes all over Europe, building buttloads of castles and cities in the process (and ransacking just as many). Malbork is considered their crown jewel, and rightfully so. Fucker is huge. Like I couldn't figure out a way to get anywhere near the whole thing in a single picture huge, so you'll just have to use your imaginations for something besides what I look like naked. Here's a completely different section of the castle:



I saw this beauty on my way from the Tri-Cities to Warsaw. It's conveniently on the way. Unfortunately, I had to lug my monster backpack around with me, which meant no wall scaling or illegally breaking in. Not like I was going to anyway--dude is totally surrounded by tall walls. When the castle was completed, it had 5 seperate walls, containing a handful of buildings and churches. Like I said, fucker is huuuuge.





The darker it got, the scarier it got, and the harder it was to take pictures. Especially because Malbork's finest bums (the castle is surrounded by a disgusting small city) came out to visit. Don't even get me started on the train station.



I saved my favorite for last. Unfortunately, it's a little blurry. But you know you're in a former communist country when there are beautiful Stalinist housing blocks inside the ruins of a castle's outer walls. These people on the top floors could probably pee into the castle from their windows. Now that's what I call a siege:



Here's a better pic, link provided courtesy of my Warsaw host, Jacek.

1 Comments:

At 2:43 AM, Anonymous jacek said...

chuck in a better pic of malbork. like this one http://www.umich.edu/~iinet/crees/outreach/Poland%20Pics/Teutonic%20Knights'%20Castle%20at%20Malbork.jpg or something.

cheers!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home