Sunday, November 12, 2006

Lublin

I AM THE MOTHERFUCKING LUBLIN TRAIN AND NOW I SHALL WRITE THEE ENTRY FOR THE PLACE I AM NO LONGER AT WHICH SHALL CONVEY TO YOU MY TRAVELLETH THEREIN. W00T.

Yo, Mike and Steve are reunited in Krakow. When we met we kissed and stuff it was cool and now cuddle AWESOOOOME. Totally.

But I was totally in Lublin - some cute provincial town in Southeastern Poland. How cute. This cute.



<------------------------------------------------------------>

Count the dashes, duders. Like that.

Lublin is some former trading town, a large Jewish center before the war, and former site of what was the world's largest Rabbinical school. I wonder what happened to that? The world will never know. But now, Lublin had a lot of ice cream parlors which were so delicious I ate ice cream in winter. GANGSTERS OF THE WORLD APPROVE AND THEREBY SAY YUM



Word. You guys are tough.

My host was awesome - a bubbly traveling worldly young woman named Magda who cooked me veggie food and set me up with our current Krakow hosts, Jeff and Aga. We talked a lot and listened to surprisingly good Argentian hardcore and she knew Modern Life is War and, for once in my life, I felt cool. "Yeah, like, my friends are friends with them and stuff." I'm so awesome.

But yes, it was charming to walk around the place, another family site (again, we think a family site. I've been told that "Lub" was a place, and also "Lublinaya," and considering how Lublin was a major, major Jewish community, about half the city's population at a time, it wouldn't be surprising). I soaked in some heritage by eating some chopped herring with a kitty on my lap at a Jewish restaurant, and went to the Majdanek death camp, which I wrote about previously and really don't have anything else to say about. The Soviets used it to imprison Polish nationalists after the war, because they're Soviets and super-charming and all, so they kept it in pretty good shape.

Lublin itself is rather charming - I was told by my host that it was not that interesting, which was untrue. It avoids the tourist hordes, and still feels lived in and settled. The Old Town was quiet and the streets buzzed with daywalking workers and political advertisements repeatedly blurted from megaphones. I meandered about aimlessly, soaked in the vibe, and slept wonderfully.

I'm in Krakow now, and it's touristy but all Olde and stuff. The Pope is everywhere, and there is a dragon statue which breathes fire. Sort of like that. And on that note, I'm blowing up like a motherfucker. Word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home